Stephanie Ellis, RN, CPC
Lead Healthcare Consultant
Ms. Ellis has been the owner and President of Ellis Medical Consulting, Inc. since 1992. Ms. Ellis has worked with most specialties, assisting Ambulatory Surgery Centers, physician practices, hospitals and outpatient clinics around the country in her consulting work. Ms. Ellis is an accomplished speaker and gives seminars around the country on such topics as ASC and physician Coding, Billing and Reimbursement Issues, Nurse Practitioner/PA Billing, claim Denials, Specialty Coding, Revenue Cycles, Collections Issues, and Compliance Plans. Ms. Ellis is an author and has written many articles (including for such publications as the HcPro's Ambulatory Surgery Coding & Reimbursement Insider newsletter, Outpatient Surgery Magazine, and OR Manager). Ms. Ellis served on the CIGNA Medicare statewide PCOM Advisory Committee from 2001 to 2003 and a Board member of FASCA of TN, the state surgery center association for the state of Tennessee.
Prior to starting the company, Ms. Ellis worked as the Operations Manager of a national case management services placement firm, served as a Case Manager and Utilization Review Nurse, was the Director of Quality Assurance for a statewide homecare agency, was the manager of Reimbursement of a national outpatient cancer treatment center, performed utilization review services at a national HMO plan and a large national third party insurance administrator, and worked as a Medicaid Specialist in the Tennessee Medicaid Program for three years. The experience at Medicaid included working as a Coding Specialist and as a Fraud Investigator for the Medicaid program.
Ms. Ellis is a native of Denver, CO. She earned her nursing degree from Belmont University in Nashville, TN in 1981 and her CPC coding certification in 1999. In addition, Ms. Ellis has served as a guest lecturer to graduate students in the nurse practitioner programs at Vanderbilt and Belmont Universities on nurse practitioner and “incident-to” billing, E & M coding, and other coding and documentation issues since 1998.
Ms. Ellis holds memberships in the following PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- The ASC Association, member 2008 to present
- Federated Ambulatory Surgery Association, member 2002 to 2007
- American Assoc. of Ambulatory Surgery Centers, member 2003 to 2007
- Freestanding Ambulatory Surgery Center Association of TN, member 2003 to present and Treasurer from 2004 to 2005, and as Board Member from 2004 to present
- Middle Tennessee Healthcare Executives Association, Nashville Chapter, Board of Directors (5/95 to 5/99), member 1994 to 2007
- Medical Group Management Assoc. – National & Tennessee Chapters, member 1994 to present
- Medical Group Management Association – Nashville Chapter, Board Member and Chairperson of Membership Committee (1999 to 2000), member 1994 to present
- American Academy of Professional Coders, member 1999 to present
- Healthcare Financial Management Assoc., TN Chapter, member 1992 to present
- Nashville Bar Association, member Health Law Committee, member 1996 to present
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians Group, member 2002 to present
- Association of periOperative Nurses (AORN), member 2006 to present
- American Health Information Medical Association (AHIMA), member 2007 to present
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) Certification (current), earned August 1999
- Registered Nurse licensed to practice nursing in the State of Tennessee (current), issued 1981